My interest in medicine began at a very early age. I decided to pursue cardiology after my father died from complications from atrial fibrillation. I chose to study heart disease in depth, which has allowed me to extend advanced training and understanding to cure arrhythmias. I truly enjoy my interaction with patients and the immense pleasure I derive from helping them heal.
San Diego Magazine Top Doctor Awards
Dr. had very good bedside manner
Dr. had very good bedside manner. Very informative - went out of his way to make us understand the diagnosis - Would definitely recommend him.
Dr. Athill is a wonderful, talented [and] caring physician.
My first visit was great, I think he cares about 'OLD' people, I can get all the information from him. A great - happy - caring doctor.
Dr. Athill is very knowledgeable
Dr. Athill is very knowledgeable caring and articulate and warm. Top notch in all regards.
Always a great experience
Always a great experience with this provider.
Dr. Charles Athill, Cardiac Electrophysiology
Education and Training:
- Electrophysiology Fellowship: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center; UCLA School of Medicine
- Clinical Cardiology Fellowship: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center; UCLA School of Medicine; Harvard University
- Internal Medicine Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Doctorate: Harvard Medical School
- Bachelor of Arts, Molecular Biology: Princeton University
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Director, Cardiac Electrophysiology, Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Chief of Cardiology, Sharp Memorial Hospital
National Institutes of Health Postgraduate; Research Fellowship, UCLA; Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Massachusetts General
- Association of Black Cardiologists
- American College of Cardiology
- San Diego County Medical Society
- California Medical Association
- American Heart Association
- NIH Postgraduate Fellowship Award
- Merwin Foundation Scholarship Award, Harvard Medical School
- Magna Cum Laude, Princeton University
Presentation and Publication Subjects:
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Intra-atrial Reentry
- Atrial Flutter
- Supraventricular Tachycardia Ablation
- Ventricular Arrhythmias
- Biventricular Pacing